FREE Online Course in Mindfulness & Compassion
Day 27: The Purpose of Anxiety
Today we explore our sensitivities, particularly anxiety, in the face of the ongoing pandemic. We look at the purpose of anxiety from an evolutionary biology perspective. All emotions are messengers telling us something. Anxiety comes to tell you that there is something dangerous in your environment that may be a threat to you, and the emotion mobilises you either to stay and fight or to run for your life. When your brain senses danger, your sympathetic nervous system gets triggered.
Today your practice is the mountain meditation. This meditation uses the image of a mountain to connect with our inner strength. Explore it to see what you can find comes up for you.
Today instead of getting caught in anxiety and letting it take you. Explore it with a compassionate heart.
Consider the following:
1. If my anxiety could talk what message would it have for me?
2. When I listen to what my anxiety has to say, what do I feel in my body?
3. Is there truth to what my anxiety is telling me? Can I be absolutely certain?
4. When I believe what my anxiety is telling me, what do I believe about myself?
5. What happens when I let go of anxiety and bring my attention to this moment?
6. What is a wise compassionate response from me to my anxiety?